Friday, March 28, 2008

Former USF volleyball star to be assistant coach

South Florida volleyball coach Claire Lessinger announced Thursday that the team hired a new assistant coach for the 2008 season -- Michelle Collier. She is the only volleyball player with a retired jersey for the University.

“I am very excited about coming home,” Collier said in a press release. “I always knew I would coach after I finished playing, and I couldn’t ask for a better place to start than here at USF. I love Tampa, the school and the athletics program, so I am very grateful to be given the opportunity to start my coaching career at home.”

Collier holds multiple all-time records at USF, including her 2,729 kills and 1,747 digs. Her kills rank fifth all time in NCAA Division I, and she was the first volleyball player from USF to be an All-American.

Collier also played outside of the United States after she graduated from college, which gave her multiple perspectives on the game and how it is played.

“I have been coached by the Chinese, Europeans, Brazilians and others, and they have a lot of different strategies about the game. In hope I will be able to bring what I have learned across the world to USF,” Collier said.

Lessinger said that USF “hit the jackpot” when it hired Collier. “She brings a wealth of playing experience, intense passion for the game, impressive knowledge of the sport, and extreme pride in being a Bull. I look forward to working with her on a daily basis and watching her impact our players.

“She is a natural leader with an impeccable work ethic. She is a perfect fit for this program in so many ways.”

No comments: