Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Mike Jarvis hopes to coach USF

Former St. John’s coach and current ESPN analyst Mike
Jarvis submitted an application to USF after Robert
McCullum was fired on March 10.
During a phone interview, Jarvis expressed his
interest in becoming the next men’s basketball coach
at South Florida. Here’s the interview in its
entirety.

Oracle: What kind of qualifications do you think it
will take to come to another Big East school? Do you
feel like a prime candidate for USF?

Mike Jarvis: Every school has different criteria for
selecting a coach. Honestly, the only person who could
answer that would be the athletic director (Doug
Woolard). I’m sure they’re looking for someone who’s a
proven coach and has been successful. I’m not sure
what other things are on their priority list, but
every coach brings something special to the table. It
really depends on what they are looking for at a
particular school.

O: Previously you were mentioned for other coaching
jobs, such as Miami. What draws you to USF?

MJ: I was asked when it opened up, if I would have an
interest and I basically said that I would. You have
to make a decision (about whether that) is something
you have an interest in and … when I was asked that
question, (I said) that I would. Nothing really much
has happened since then but there is not a whole lot I
can say about that position.

O: You had some success with St. John’s, but there was
some controversy. Do you think you’ve moved passed
that? Can (school) officials move past that?

MJ: I really would rather not talk about that or any
specifics at this time. But my record speaks for
itself. I’ve been a teacher and an educator for
30something years and have had incredible success on
and off the court. I have been the president of the
National Association of Basketball Coaches, have
coached the United States of America Basketball
(under-22 men’s team in 1993). I guess it would be
like asking a parent about something their kids did
once in their lifetime. I basically tell folks, ‘Hey
listen, when you me, look at my body of work and you
look at who I am.’ You can talk to anybody you want
and ask them what they think about me personally or
coaching wise. The honest to God truth is I let my
life speak for itself.

O: How badly do you want to get back into coaching?

MJ: I would love to coach again, but it would have to
be at the right place with the right people. If I can
find a special place — and that would be determined
primarily by the people who I am working for and what
their goals and missions were — then I would certainly
enjoy coaching again. But only under those
circumstances.

O: Would coming back to the Big East be one of the
situations you would like to be back in?

MJ: I don’t know. Honestly, it really wouldn’t be
about going back to one particular place or
conference. It’s really about being in a really,
really good and wholesome environment and working with
good people. That’s the main thing.

O: Have you seen the USF campus?

MJ: Yeah, I’ve been there. I did a game there, I did
the Syracuse game (March 14).

O: Did you like what you saw?

MJ: Oh yeah, it was a wonderful place. I mean, Tampa
is a great place. Whoever goes to coach there I’m sure
will be very, very happy living there. I’m sure they
are going to hire a good coach and a good person.
Whoever that is, I hope they do really well.

—Brendan Galella

No comments: